For adults, sleeping well is something that doesn’t happen very often. We find ourselves up late thinking about expenses, the kids, your job, having to see your mother-in-law this weekend, and household chores that need to be done. Our cell phones, TVs in the room and other glowing electronic devices also don’t help when it comes to trying to catch some Z’s.
Luckily as a mattress and furniture store in Burlington MA, we specialize in ensuring you sleep well. We’ve got a few tips and tricks on how to get a good night’s sleep.
How To Get a Good Night’s Sleep
- Set a schedule. It may sound elementary, but setting a time for yourself for when you need to be in bed is the best way to start getting a better night’s sleep. If you decide to get in bed by 10 with the goal of planning to fall asleep by 10:30, then make sure you stick with the plan. Once you’re able to fall asleep at this set time, you can work on slowly pushing your bedtime back if you feel you need even more sleep.
- Get some exercise. At least 30 minutes of rigorous exercise daily or every other day will help you sleep more soundly. Even going out for a 2 mile walk can help you both reduce stress and keep you relaxed before bed. Just be sure not to exercise right before getting into bed as this can actually cause you to say up later due to improved circulation.
- Don’t nap. If you’re prone to napping on the weekends, try instead to avoid the mid-afternoon nap. Napping for more than 20 minutes can cause your brain to go into a REM cycle and deep sleep cycle which is what happens when you go to sleep for the night. Instead, try drinking a small amount of coffee or tea or going out for a walk to get your blood moving instead of settling down for a nap.
- Avoid electronics. There’s a reason there’s so much research out there stating how much electronic devices can negatively affect your sleep cycle. Flashing computer lights, cell phones buzzing or lighting up when you get a late-night text, or your phone going off in the middle of the night can cause most people to leave REM sleep and have trouble falling back asleep. Instead, turn your cell phone off or on silent and be sure to flip it over onto the back. Don’t forget to turn off the TV before bed if you have a TV in your room as well as this can be a huge distraction.
- Buy a new mattress. Lastly, if you’re still having trouble falling asleep, then it’s time to start assessing your pillow and mattress. Most homeowners don’t realize that they should replace their mattresses every 10 years or so, depending on the type of mattress. Our mattress store in Burlington MA provides hundreds of different mattresses from a variety of name brand vendors. From pillow top mattresses to memory foam mattresses, we can help you determine what your needs are and what feels most comfortable for you.
Ready to get the best night sleep ever? Be sure to follow our advice on what to do to get a better night’s sleep. Don’t hesitate to stop by our furniture store in Burlington to test out your dream mattress. Shop our selection online today!