It’s that time of year when everyone is moving and looking for a new apartment or home. There’s a lot of tempting items set out on the curbs (desks, office chairs, tables, bookshelves…) from your fellow neighbors and it may seem like a no-brainer to snatch up that queen mattress. Before you do so, we’re here to tell you why that might not be the best idea and to instead purchase a new mattress from a furniture or sleep center store.
Why You Shouldn’t Buy a Mattress Used
- You don’t know how it was cared for. First things first, mattresses are often neglected when it comes to caring for household items. We only use them for a limited amount of time per day, so we often forget that they need to be flipped and/or rotated on a routine basis. Kids jumping around can damage coils prematurely and there could be other issues such as lurking bed bugs or stains. Unfortunately mattresses can’t be washed easily, so whatever issues there are with that mattress you are bound to inherit them.
- You don’t know the quality of the mattress. Unless the owner explicitly tells you how many years the mattress was slept on, how it was cared for, and what brand and model it was, there’s no way to tell the quality of the used mattress. Oftentimes used mattresses are made from low-quality foam or other materials that can end up causing health issues for you down the road. Depending on the make and model, springs and coils can become less effective and the mattress could be sagging in the center. Newly purchased mattresses will come with a warranty so that if anything happens under your watch, you can contact the retail center or brand.
- Buying used means a shorter lifespan. Did you know mattresses should be replaced every 8-10 years? If you end up opting for a used mattress that is 4 years old, then you will need to account for purchasing a new mattress sooner rather than later which can end up digging into your budget. It’s best to invest in a new mattress from a mattress store so that you get the most value for your money.
- It won’t be customized for your sleep habits or body. These days with improved mattress technology, mattress stores are able to match every individual to the proper mattress. How you sleep (side sleeper, back sleeper, stomach sleeper, etc), how often you sleep, and whether or not you have sleep disorders all play a role in what type of mattress you should purchase. Buying used can end up affecting your health and sleep patterns.
- Buying new means better materials. As mentioned previously, buying a new mattress from a reputable name brand such as Simmons or Sierra Sleep ensures that you have a mattress made of the highest grade materials. Although buying new may mean more money up front, your body will thank you in the long run for purchasing a mattress with updated sleep technology and quality materials such as memory foam.
So, the next time you see a mattress on the side of the road, it’s best to just keep on driving and head to Metropolitan Furniture in Burlington MA. We provide quality mattresses from reputable name brands for any sleep style. Shop our selection online today!