Maybe you are in the market for a new recliner, but you don’t just want any recliner. You want a top-of-the-line recliner that will be a standout piece and provide you with the luxurious comfort you need to put up your feet. A combination of functionality and aesthetics are also essential characteristics in a desirable recliner. Whether it’s a quiet afternoon reading or watching your favorite team battle it out, a recliner can be the place where you can make some fun memories. How do you go about choosing a recliner? Check out this ultimate guide to buying the perfect recliner for your living space.
What Makes a Recliner?
A recliner allows you to angle the furniture into a downward, reclined position with the footrest raised. With this feature, you have the option of sitting upright like a typical sofa or adjust to lye back.
Different Types of Recliners
There are several different types of recliners on the market and it’s up to you to choose the best options for your particular needs.
- Manual recliners are the most popular of all the recliners. A button or a lever is pulled to make the chair recline and the footrest extends. Most manual recliners allow you to lie entirely flat.
- Powered recliners are operated using an electric motor that controls the reclining maneuvering. It gives you the ability to select your ideal recline comfort. Some models may have a control panel for reclining or retracting.
- Adjustable recliners are limited and don’t recline completely, with the seat hinging at the point where it meets the backrest, stopping halfway. The leg support is not the best when compared to the manual and powered models.
Upholstery is significant when choosing a new recliner since resilience, durability, indulgence, and comfort are important with regard to upholstery material. The most popular upholstery materials include:
- Genuine leather
- Top-grain leather
- Polyvinyl chloride
What is it that you want your recliner to do for you? Functionality may be a feature that’s important to you when buying your new recliner. Depending on how modern or traditional you want your recliner will determine the functional traits that you will seek. Functional features that some buyers appreciate include cup-holders, concealed storage pockets, overhead LED lighting, charging outlets, and adjustable headrest. These functional features can all make for a great experience depending on the occasion for which you use your recliner.
Top Recliner Brands
Before you begin your search for your perfect recliner, a few brands are customer favorites because of their quality and comfort. Brand favorites include:
- Ashley: Elegance, durability, and ergonomic comfort
- Catnapper: True to its name, this is the afternoon nap recliner
- Flexsteel: Top quality, durability, and longevity, stylish and functional(business, home, recreation)
- Craftmaster: American-made, high-quality, reliable
- HomeStretch: Stylish, exceptional value
Other Factors to Consider
- Size: Think of the space available and family size, or simply what you want for your comfort. Don’t forget the doorway needs to accommodate the recliner so measure before you buy.
- Mechanism: Do you prefer a recliner that is operated manually or one with an automatic inner motor? Remember that some chairs will recline the whole body, while others are feet-only recliners.
- Ergonomics: The perfect recliner should be both comfortable and supportive. A recliner with supportive cushioning will retain its shape and offer support minus pressure points. Go for a recliner with fabric and upholstery lush and soft and a frame that offer reliable spinal support.
- Test the Recliner: Before throwing money at a recliner, take a seat and test it out in the extended and upright, and extended positions to see if it meets your desired level of comfort and support.
If you are still unsure after reading this guide, let the recliner experts at Metropolitan Furniture help you pick out the right recliner for you. Our team of professionals will answer all your questions and address your concerns. Give us a call today at 781-365-1383 and get your perfect recliner.